Pagina 1 di 3 123 UltimaUltima
Risultati da 1 a 15 di 39

Discussione: La cilena Melissa Aldana vince il Saxophone Competition 2013

Amministratore L'avatar di Alessio Beatrice

La cilena Melissa Aldana vince il Saxophone Competition 2013

La cilena Melissa Aldana vince il Thelonius Monk International Jazz Saxophone Competition 2013

Melissa Aldana of Santiago, Chile, wins 2013 Saxophone Competition

Talent Included John Beasley (Musical Director), Brian Blade, Terri Lyne Carrington, Gerald Clayton, Vinnie Colaiuta, Kurt Elling, Robben Ford, James Genus, Herbie Hancock, Roy Hargrove, Jimmy Heath, Ledisi, Branford Marsalis, Marcus Miller, T.S. Monk, John Patitucci, Danilo Pérez, Take 6, Cassandra Wilson

Washington, D.C. – The 2013 Thelonious Monk International Jazz Saxophone Competition and All-Star Gala Concert came to a close with roaring applause as first place winner Melissa Aldana traded choruses with saxophone great Jimmy Heath and joined an all-star cast in a finale featuring Heath’s classic composition “Gingerbread Boy.”

Presented by the world-renowned Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz in partnership with Cadillac, this year’s Presenting Sponsor, the stellar event featured the finals of the Thelonious Monk International Jazz Saxophone Competition with performances by first place winner Melissa Aldana, 24 of Santiago, Chile; Tivon Pennicott, 27, of Marietta, Georgia; and Godwin Louis, 28, of Harlem, New York. Tivon and Godwin were named second and third place winners, respectively. At stake was more than $100,000 in scholarships and prizes, including a $25,000 first place scholarship and guaranteed recording contract with Concord Music Group. This year’s competition judges included a distinguished panel of saxophonists: Jane Ira Bloom, Jimmy Heath, Branford Marsalis, Wayne Shorter and Bobby Watson.

First place winner Melissa Aldana captured the audience’s attention with her performances of Jimmy Van Heusen’s “I Thought About You” and her original composition “Free Fall.” Tivon Pennicott performed Sonny Rollins’ “Strode Rode” and Charlie Chaplin’s “Smile" and Godwin Louis performed Hoagy Carmichael's "Skylark" along with his original composition, "Our Father" inspired by the Lord's Prayer. Each finalist was accompanied by a dynamic band featuring pianist Reginald “Reggie” Thomas, bassist Rodney Whitaker and drummer Carl Allen.

The evening also featured a star-studded Gala Concert under the musical direction of John Beasley and with hosts Herbie Hancock, Thelonious Monk, Jr. and Billy Dee Williams. The Gala began with a rousing tribute to the blues featuring Charley Patton’s “Saddle My Pony” and Elmore James’ “Please Set a Date.” The outstanding cast included Beasley with Vinnie Colaiuta, Robben Ford, James Genus, Marcus Miller and Cassandra Wilson.

The Institute presented the legendary Wayne Shorter with a Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his extraordinary, six-decade career as a saxophonist, educator and composer. In the Institute’s nearly 30-year history, this is only the second time the award has been presented, the first being to Quincy Jones in 1996. Shorter was presented with the award following remarks by lifelong friend and musical compatriot Herbie Hancock. A musical tribute to Shorter included world-renowned artists Gerald Clayton, Kurt Elling, Herbie Hancock, Roy Hargrove, Jimmy Heath, Branford Marsalis, Marcus Miller and Take 6 performing some of Shorter’s most beloved compositions, including “Black Nile” from his classic Blue Note solo recordings, “Fall” and “Footprints” from his time with the Miles Davis Quintet, and “Palladium” from Weather Report’s best-selling Heavy Weather album. Shorter then took the stage with Brian Blade, John Patitucci and Danilo Pérez – the extraordinary members of his current quartet – to perform his classic compositions “Over Shadow Hill Way” and “Joy Ryder.” Also performing in the festivities were the Monk Institute's Jazz Performance Program College Students along with the 2013 edition of the Thelonious Monk Institute National Performing Arts High School All-Star Jazz Sextet.

The evening concluded with a heartfelt tribute to the late George Duke, a longtime Institute collaborator who was to have served as the evening’s Musical Director. Stunning vocalist Ledisi performed “You Never Know” from DreamWeaver, Duke’s final album, released just two months ago. This was followed by the incomparable a cappella group Take 6 performing a shimmering rendition of Duke’s “Fly Away.”

Through its annual Competition and numerous year-round educational programs across the United States and internationally, the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz is committed to identifying and training the world’s leading young jazz musicians who will preserve the traditions of jazz while expanding the music in new directions.
    Tenore: Rampone & Cazzani "R1 Jazz "
    Selmer S80 E / Rovner Dark / Forsetone MS

C Melody: Conn "New Wonder I" 1925
    Conn Eagle / Flexitone / Forestone MS

Re: La cilena Melissa Aldana vince il Saxophone Competition

[youtube3:1zcxmdr7]http://www.youtube.com/embed/cNaBxkj8cZY[/youtube3:1zcxmdr7]
    Tenore Selmer Mark VI
    Alto Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series
    Soprano Yamaha YSS 675
    Wind Control. Yamaha WX5

My Music Blog: http://jazzsounddevelopment.blogspot.com/
    Sax On The Tube: http://saxonthetube.blogspot.it/

Certo che anche il suo babbo (finalista all'edizione del 1991 vinta da Joshua Redman) non è che suoni proprio male

[youtube3:3kuo3klt]http://www.youtube.com/embed/1W4qgKJpAcA[/youtube3:3kuo3klt]
    Tenore Selmer Mark VI
    Alto Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series
    Soprano Yamaha YSS 675
    Wind Control. Yamaha WX5

My Music Blog: http://jazzsounddevelopment.blogspot.com/
    Sax On The Tube: http://saxonthetube.blogspot.it/

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Mad Mat
    [youtube3:1q37rqn5]http://www.youtube.com/embed/cNaBxkj8cZY[/youtube3:1q37rqn5]
    Gran bel suono! tanto di cappello! :half:
    A me me piac' o blues e tutt'e journe aggia cantà!
    PMauriat 86UL/Becco Gottsu Bamboo/Meyer/BergLarsen metallo
    Baritono Grassi Prestige/Becco 8Link STM metallo/Schreiber Ebanite
    Soprano Grassi S20/Becco Ottolink ebanite

bella e brava.
    sax tenore selmer sba 1948 mk6 m 114906 bocchino francois louis

ancia di plasticazza (bari) m

Brava. Ma un'annata come il 1991 quando capiterà ?
    1- Joshua Redman
    2- Eric Alexander
    3- Chris Potter

Ciao Martin, Joshua è del 1969, Chris del 1971 e Eric del 1968. Parlavi di qualche album forse?

:lol:
    Non sono le date di nascita ma quelle dei piazzamenti del Thelonius Monk International Jazz Saxophone Competition 1991 :
    PRIMO CLASSIFICATO : Joshua Redman
    SECONDO CLASSIFICATO : Eric Alexander
    TERZO CLASSIFICATO : Chris Potter
    :mha...:

Moderatore L'avatar di Blue Train

Perdonalo martin, ha cambiato stile di vita da poco ed è ancora... poco lucido :lol:

Il Grande Capo è sempre perdonato ! :half:

:lol: Colpa del cambio di stagione!...

Moderatore L'avatar di Blue Train

Si, può essere, peccato che per un po' non cambierà :lol:

Alexander aveva come insegnante Lovano...il che ha avuto un peso, così come il cognome del vincitore, che però se lo era meritato alla grande.
    Altro vincitore Seamus Blake, con molte polemiche dal momento che aveva già registrato con la Criss Cross.
    Brava Aldana!

primo secondo o terzo poco importa perchè tutti quelli citati suonano alla grande .
    è chiaro che le competizioni in musica lasciano il tempo che trovano ma questi americani sono davvero forti.
    il più scarso suona alla grandissima.
    sax tenore selmer sba 1948 mk6 m 114906 bocchino francois louis

ancia di plasticazza (bari) m

Per chi fosse interessato, non si conosce ancora la data esatta ma sarà presente a Umbria Jazz Winter

E’ cilena, ha 24 anni, abita a New York, suona il sassofono e da poco ha vinto il prestigioso «Thelonious Monk international saxophone competition». E’ l’identikit di Melissa Aldana, primo ospite annunciato da Umbria Jazz Winter, che si terrà ad Orvieto dal 28 dicembre al primo gennaio. In attesa che il programma completo venga svelato il 18 ottobre, arriva la notizia della partecipazione al festival della giovane sassofonista che, oltre a suonare col suo trio, sarà protagonista come special guest nel corso della manifestazione. Nata a Santiago del Cile, è sotto la guida del padre, Marcos (che partecipò anch’egli al «Thelonious Monk»), che impara a suonare affinando poi la sua abilità di improvvisatrice. Nel 2006 poi l’incontro con il pianista Danilo Perez, che le spalancò le porte del Berklee College of Music (l’istituzione che da 25 anni tiene le sue clinics ogni estate a Perugia in coincidenza con l’edizione estiva di Umbria Jazz) procurandole un’audizione.

Dal Cile a New York Ottenuta una borsa di studio, durante la sua permanenza a Boston inizia un rapporto con Greg Osby, con il quale registra il suo primo album, Free Fall, al quale segue nel 2012 Second Cycle. Nel 2009 arriva a New York dove si si esibisce con Osby, Garzone, e Coleman, oltre a Benny Golson, Francisco Mela, e Antonio Sanchez. Il «Thelonious Monk», come accennato, è un concorso prestigioso. Ogni anno vengono premiati i migliori giovani jazzisti e tra i vincitori figurano nomi di primo piano come quelli di Marcus Roberts, Jacky Terrasson, Eric Lewis, Tigran Hamasyan; i trombettisti Ryan Kisor, Ambrose Akinmusire; i sassofonisti Joshua Redman, Seamus Blake, Jon Irabagon; i bassisti Darryl Hall, Ben Williams e vocalist come Gretchen Parlato e Cécile McLorin Salvant, anch’essa (ascoltata la scorsa estate sul palco del Santa Giuliana con Gregory Porter e la Jazz at Lincoln di Wynton Marsalis) ospite dell’edizione invernale del festival.

Pagina 1 di 3 123 UltimaUltima

Informazioni Discussione

Utenti che Stanno Visualizzando Questa Discussione

Ci sono attualmente 1 utenti che stanno visualizzando questa discussione. (0 registrati e 1 ospiti)